Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) State Plan Support
Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), signed on December 10, 2015, reauthorized the 50-year-old Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), the nation’s national education law and longstanding commitment to equal opportunity for all students. ESSA returns a significant amount of power back to the states, requiring them to establish a strategic vision and determine how the new law will affect their accountability, funding, school improvement, and grant-making systems. ESSA also requires that states get input from a range of stakeholders on these systems and on proposed ESSA policies as they develop their plans for ESSA implementation. However, rolling out systemwide ESSA policy changes within the Department of Education’s timeframe, and with meaningful stakeholder input, is a challenge for SEAs across the U.S. as well as for TEA.
ESSA requires each State Education Agency (SEA) to be the key decision maker in the development and implementation of its ESSA Consolidated State Plan. SEAs must also conduct extensive outreach and engagement efforts to inform the development of state plans. To assist Texas Education Agency (TEA) staff to build capacity for these efforts, TXCC is helping them plan and coordinate stakeholder engagement meetings and develop and analyze surveys for public input. TXCC is also providing additional supports and technical expertise for state plan development in response to technical requests by the agency.
The Texas Council on Family-School Engagement provides advice and input to TEA to inform meaningful engagement of family, school, and community stakeholders. This input is used to help:
- build state capacity to embed family and community engagement across Texas Education Agency strategic priorities and federal programs;
- build ESC, LEA, and school capacity to meaningfully engage parents; and
- engage family and community stakeholders to inform implementation of ESSA.
- Family Engagement Supports Student Pathways to College and Career Success
- Family Engagement Is Essential in Early Childhood Education
- How can districts support success for all students?
- How can you support your student’s success?
- How can schools support success for all students?
- The Effective Schools Framework Engages Families in Creating High-Performing Schools
- Texas System of Great Schools Network Engages and Empowers Families
- Family Engagement Supports Educators and Promotes Student Success